For the next 30 days, we’re providing free access to non-subscribers so you can see what we have to offer. And if you subscribe by May 1, you’ll get a 25% discount on your subscription!
We hope you’ll like what you see and want to support local media.
Click here to start a new subscription
• Dave May, who assumed the football coaching job as an interim before the start of the season, has applied to continue coaching, but the coaching position has officially opened.
• Senior Brendan Sullivan leads the boys team in scoring with a 23.1 average, which ranks third in the state. The Falcons’ girls basketball team will take Colorado’s top 5A ranking to Phoenix for the Nike Tournament of Champions before the holiday break.
• Running back Dominic Betti along with linemen Drake Nugent and Austin Johnson were first team All-Mount Lincoln league football selections.
• Members of the boys cross country team finished third Dec.2 at the Nike Nationals cross country meet in Portland, Oregon, and the girls representing Vista Nation were sixth at the race over the Glendover golf course. Jenna Fitzsimmons paced the girls with a 30th-place finish with a time of 18:26.0 while Dillon Carter topped the boys by running 29th in 15:45.6.
• At the CHSAA State Spirit Championships held Dec. 8-9 at the Denver Coliseum, the co-ed cheer team and the jazz team both finished second.
• The hockey team managed just four goals in losing its first three games but rebounded with a two-game winning streak in which the team scored 10 goals.
• The girls basketball team has three games before the holiday break and will open the new year by playing in the Lady Seahwaks Island Shootout in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
• Easton Allred ran 22nd at the Nike Nationals cross country meet Dec. 2 in Portland, Oregon, with a time of 15:36.8.
• The Jaguars’ cheer team was second in the Class 5A cheer contest at the CHSAA Spirit Championships, which were held Dec. 8-9 at the Denver Coliseum.
• Jessica Beckwith placed second in the 100 butterfly at the Coaches Invitational girls swim meet held Dec. 15-16. Her time was 56.41 seconds.
• The state’s top-ranked 5A boys basketball team remained unbeaten and won the Clash On The Coast basketball tournament which ended Dec. 16 in Oxnard, California. The guard duo of Sam Masten and Tyson Gilbert have been the ringleaders of the Jaguars’ unbeaten start. Masten is averaging 21.9 points a game and Gilbert 13.4.
Seniors Jordan Wilson and Mitch Steele have helped the Hawks win three of their first five games. Wilson is scoring 14.0 points a game and Steele contributes a 12.3 scoring average.
• The Class 5A poms title was won by the Grizzlies at the Dec. 8-9 CHSAA State Spirit Championships held at the Denver Coliseum. The 4A/5A co-ed cheer team was fourth.
• The boys basketball team, ranked fifth in the CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll, plays Cherokee Trail on Dec. 21 and hopes to improve on its 9-1 record. The Grizzlies have benefited from balanced scoring, with Kaison Hammonds leading the way with a 16.6 average followed by Justin mcCaw at 11.6 and Tyson Cruickshank at 11.3
• Cross country runner Cole Sprout was the top Colorado finisher in the boys Nike Cross Nationals held Dec. 2 in Portland, Oregon, with a 21st-place finish and a time of 15:35.8.
• The cheer team was crowned 4A champions at the CHSAA State Spirit Championships held Dec. 8-9 at the Denver Coliseum. The Eagles won a tiebreaker with the highest cheer scores to capture the title.
• The hockey team had another winning streak snapped by Regis Jesuit, but the positive is the improvement showed by the Eagles. Last season, Valor won its first six games before losing 6-0 to Regis. Valor had its season-opening three-game winning streak halted on Dec. 16 by Regis, but the Eagles only lost 2-1.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.