Highlands Ranch • The Falcons’ new scoreboard will be tested when the Highlands Ranch girls basketball team ends the regular season Feb. 15 with a game against Mountain Vista. The Falcons are the …
• The Falcons’ new scoreboard will be tested when the Highlands Ranch girls basketball team ends the regular season Feb. 15 with a game against Mountain Vista. The Falcons are the highest-scoring team in the Continental League with a 64.5 average, and junior Autumn Watts is the league’s leading scorer with a 15.9 average. Senior Tommi Olson is the league leader in assists (6.4 per game) and steals (5.2). The Falcons will be looking for their 11th straight 20-win season. State playoffs begin Feb. 20.
• Senior Brendan Sullivan is second in the Continental League boys basketball statistics in scoring and rebounding. He is averaging 20.9 points and eight rebounds a game.
• Roger Meyer finished third in the 132-pound class at the Class 5A Region 1 state qualifying wrestling tournament, which concluded Feb. 10. The Golden Eagles had five wrestlers qualify for the Class 5A state tournament, which will be held Feb. 15-17 at the Pepsi Center.
• The boys basketball team has lost four of its last five games heading into the final two games of the regular season. Still the Golden Eagles, who will conclude the Continental League campaign Feb. 16 with a game against Highlands Ranch, could be a dangerous team to face when the state playoffs begin Feb. 20.
Boys basketball coach Kent Grams is a 2002 graduate of ThunderRidge and he played basketball for Grizzlies coach Ortiz. On Feb. 16, Grams will be coaching against Ortiz when the Jaguars, ranked second in the CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll, face top ranked ThunderRidge in the final game of the Continental League season at ThunderRidge. The Grizzlies are unbeaten in the league and Rock Canyon has one loss. Rock Canyon has a 3-9 overall record against ThunderRidge but has notched narrow wins in the past two games. Rock Canyon won 49-48 last year and 44-43 in the 2016 game.
• The boys basketball team wraps up the regular season Feb. 15 with a game against Denver Jewish Day. Seniors Jordan Wilson and Mitch Steele have been the sparkplugs this season for the Hawks. Wilson is averaging 11.6 points a game with Steele close behind at 11.1 ppg.
• Natalia Miller-Forrest is the top scorer for the girls basketball team with an 11 point-per-game scoring average. The team plays at Denver Jewish Day on Feb. 15.
Joe Ortiz, coach of the boys basketball team, which is ranked first in the CHSAANow.com poll, picked up his 400th career victory with a victory over then-top ranked Chaparral on Feb. 6. He added victory 401 to his resume with a triumph over rival Mountain Vista on Feb. 9. The Grizzlies will host second-ranked Rock Canyon in the regular season finale on Feb. 16 and the outright Continental League championship will be on the line for ThunderRidge
• The hockey team has wrapped up the Highlands Conference title and will be idle until the start of the playoffs. The Eagles, 16-0-0 in the conference and 17-2-0 overall, are guaranteed of drawing a first round bye in the playoffs and won’t play until the second round on Feb. 23.
• The boys and girls basketball teams end the regular season on Feb. 15 with Jeffco 4A games against Standley Lake. The boys, which entered the week tied for first place with Golden, play at Standley Lake. The Eagles beat Standley Lake, 79-60, earlier in the season. It will be senior night when the girls host Standley Lake, a team it defeated 59-41 in an earlier game.