Highlands Ranch • The boys lacrosse team was scheduled to put its six-game winning streak on the line against Legend in an April 25 game and then battle Mountain Vista on April 27. The Falcons have …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2017-2018, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• The boys lacrosse team was scheduled to put its six-game winning streak on the line against Legend in an April 25 game and then battle Mountain Vista on April 27. The Falcons have 10 wins so far this season and 12 victories is the most recorded over the last 11 seasons. Highlands Ranch was 12-4-0 in 2009-10. Mountain Vista has won all nine games played against Highlands Ranch dating back to the 2009 season.
• The baseball team, which opened the season with a 5-2 record, has lost five games in a row and faced Castle View and Ponderosa in early week contests. The Falcons end the Continental League season with games April 30 at Regis Jesuit and May 2 at Rock Canyon.
• Jenna Fitzsimmons won the 3,200 race with a time of 10:56.98 at the Dakota Ridge Invitational track meet on April 21.
• The baseball team, top-ranked in the CHSAANow.com 5A poll, face a Continental League showdown April 27 against Heritage. The teams, along with Douglas County, are the contenders for the league title. Vista has dropped the last two contests played against Heritage but does hold a 6-4 edge in the series.
• The girls soccer team has a key league match against Castle View on April 26 and travels to Fort Collins on April 28 for a non-league game.
• Senior Tameryn Coryell, a transfer from Evergreen, won the pole vault event April 21 on a cold, snowy day at the Dakota Ridge Invitational with an effort of 10-06.
• The baseball team hosts Ponderosa on April 27 in a Continental League game. The Jaguars have won four of the past five games against the Mustangs but lost 11-8 last season.
• The Continental League-leading girls soccer team plays against a Highlands Ranch team on April 26 that is seeking to gain RPI points. The Jaguars hold a 7-1 series edge against the Falcons dating back to 2009 and have won the past six games — all by shutout. Highlands Ranch as of April 23 was 31st in the RPI standings. The top 32 teams are considered for the post season playoff berths.
The boys Blue volleyball team is 12-0 and leads the 3A West League with a 4-0 mark. The Hawks play Valor Christian White and College View Blue on April 26. Brandt DeJager is the league leader with a .526 hitting percentage and 96 kills. SVA’s Ryan Butler leads in assists with 124 and DeJager also is the league leader with 24 service aces.
• Samantha Martin, a 2010 graduate of Chaparral, is the new head girls basketball coach and replaces Matt Asik, who was 44-33 in three seasons and won the 2015-16 Class 5A state title. Martin, who played four seasons at Colorado State University, has been a ThunderRidge assistant the past two seasons.
• The girls and boys track teams both finished in second place at the Continental League Qualifying track meet on April 19. Three ThunderRidge girls relay teams were winners while Kendall Green (800 meters), Madilynn Edwards (1,600), Grace Wenham (300 hurdles), Teagan Zwaanstra (long jump), Anna Hart (triple jump) and Sarah Reiner (shot put) won individual events. In the boys competition, the individual winners were Brendan McManus (300 hurdles), Dominic Anselmo (triple jump) and Austin Holt (discus).
• The girls track team was second in team standings at the April 19 4A Jeffco Relays. Individual winners included Joy Gerow (discus), Hailey Rice (triple jump), Sadie McMullen (long jump) and Lizzie Waters (pole vault). The girls won five relay events and set two meet records. The shuttle hurdle team of Destiny Grimes, Waters, Maddy Ortman and Anna Hall set a record of 1:01.06, which puts them in the top 10 nationally. The 4x300 team of Camille Peisner, Grimes, Waters and Bianca Lopez set a new standard of 2:51.20.
• The Jeffco 4A League baseball tournament begins April 28 after the Eagles completed the regular season with early-week games against Littleton and Wheat Ridge. The two-time defending 4A state champions were 10-2 and seeking to record their third consecutive 20-win season.
• The girls soccer team took on Class 5A top-ranked Grandview two days before facing Jeffco 4A rival Golden April 25. Seniors Alexandra Daws and Nicole Wright led the Eagles with 14 and 13 points, respectively.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.