Highlands Ranch • The girls basketball team, ranked No. 2 in the Jan. 14 CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll, rolled to a 90-25 romp over Douglas County on Jan. 15 as senior Kasey Neubert scored 27 points. …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• The girls basketball team, ranked No. 2 in the Jan. 14 CHSAANow.com Class 5A poll, rolled to a 90-25 romp over Douglas County on Jan. 15 as senior Kasey Neubert scored 27 points. Jamie Bain had 26 points as the team pounded Heritage 93-6 on Jan. 27. It marked the 15th time in school history that the girls team has scored 90 or more points. In a non-league top 10 showdown against No. 4 Cherry Creek on Jan. 19, the Falcons earned a 64-58 win, with Payton Muma leading the way with 18 points.
• The boys basketball team picked up two close Continental League wins with a 56-52 victory over Douglas County on Jan. 15 and a 48-45 win against Heritage on Jan. 17.
• The boys basketball team was ranked No. 1 in the Jan. 14 CHSAANow.com poll but hot-shooting Chaparral, ranked No. 2, earned a 66-48 Continental League win in the Jan. 15 showdown. Senior Ben Grusing took game scoring honors with 23 points but the team shot just 31 percent from the floor compared to 59 percent for Chaparral. The team rebounded with a 91-59 win over Castle View on Jan. 17 and a 91-60 romp over Falcon on Jan. 19. Simon May topped the Golden Eagles with 19 points against Castle View. Spencer Thomas had 10 rebounds and Corban Gamble 10 assists. Grusing led five double figure scorers against Falcon with 13 points.
• Jared Goodman, off an assist from Jacob Strawn, scored 28 seconds into the overtime to give the hockey team a 4-3 win over Monarch on Jan. 18. The team played well defensively against top ranked Regis Jesuit on Jan. 19 but lost 1-0 after allowing a goal in the first 91 seconds of the game.
• Mackenzie Gamble scored 16 points to lead the girls basketball team to a 56-47 victory over Chaparral on Jan 15. Amy Holland had 20 points and 11 rebounds in a 55-46 triumph over Castle View on Jan. 17.
• Mikayla Johnson captured the 105-pound championship at the Take The Crown girls wrestling tournament held Jan. 19. Savannah Howard lost to Avery Harter in the 161-pound title match.
• Jake Hassett scored 15 points and Jaylen Eikenberg chipped in 13, but the boys basketball team, ranked eighth in the Jan. 14 CHSAANow.com poll, dropped a 46-43 decision to Regis Jesuit on Jan. 17.
• Britt Nichols won the 200- and 500-yard freestyle events with times of 2:02.50 and 5:24.76 respectively as the girls swimming team defeated Heritage, 100-69, in a dual meet on Jan. 17.
• Jackson Medin scored 16 points while Andrew Pippin had 10 points and 11 rebounds as the boys basketball team topped Peak to Peak, 57-51, in overtime on Jan. 15. The team lost, 62-27, to Kent Denver on Jan. 17 and 47-39 to Stargate School on Jan. 19.
• Natalia Miller-Forrest scored 19 points in the girls basketball team’s 48-25 victory over Peak to Peak on Jan. 15. The team held on to edge Kent Denver, 47-46, on Jan. 17 and topped Stargate School 60-33 on Jan. 19 to improve its overall record to 10-1.
• The fifth-ranked boys basketball team was outscored 8-5 in the overtime in a 30-29 loss to Regis Jesuit on Jan. 15. Austin Holt scored seven points to pace the Grizzlies. The team rebounded on Jan. 17 with a 70-54 triumph over Douglas County and earned a 61-55 victory over Arvada West on Jan. 19. Colton Sanders had 14 points while Bailey Verk had a double double with 12 points and 12 rebounds against Douglas County. Holt, Garrett Arnold and Verk each had 12 points in the win over Arvada West.
• Juniors Heidi Haze tallied 18 points in a 45-34 loss to top-ranked Regis Jesuit for the girls basketball team on Jan. 15. Haze had 14 points, Linsey Anhalt 13 and Michelyne Maestas 11 in a 61-27 victory over Douglas County on Jan. 17. The team downed Fairview, 46-29, on Jan. 19, with Haze scoring 13 points.
• Avery Howard pinned Mountain Vista’s Savannah Howard in 2:35 to win the 161-pound championship match at the Take The Crown girls wrestling tournament on Jan. 19.
• Senior Jake Welch won the 182-pound championship with a pin in the title match at the Top Of The Rockies boys wrestling meet Jan. 18-19 at Centaurus High School. Payton Polson finished second at 170 pounds, losing to Kai Blake of Cherry Creek.
• The girls basketball team, sixth in the CHSAANow.com poll, defeated Dakota Ridge 66-51 on Jan. 16 as freshman Raegan Beers scored 30 points and had 18 rebounds. Sara Nealy led the team with 19 points in a 69-42 win over Columbine on Jan. 19. Promising sophomore Kindyll Wetta had the season shortened for the second straight year when she underwent ACL knee surgery on her other knee on Jan. 18.
• The boys basketball team had the ball in the closing seconds but couldn’t get off a shot in a 51-50 loss to Columbine on Jan. 19 in a Jeffco 5A contest. Cole Bott scored 17 points for Valor, which has lost five of its past six games.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.